The Ministry has three Employment Centres and three regional offices providing employment services across the country. These Centres include the Central Employment Unit located within the Ministry’s headquarters in New England Ville, Freetown. The other Employment Centres include the Kono Employment Centre in Koidu Town, Kono District and the Cline Town Labour Pool in Freetown. The regional employment offices are located in Bo, Kenema and Makeni respectively.
The Employment Centres of the Ministry are responsible for the registration of Job Seekers who are citizens of Sierra Leone and also provide them with Employment/Labour Registration Certificate commonly known as Labour Card. The Labour Card is valid for one year, after which the Job Seeker is expected to return to the Employment Centre or regional office for renewal. The Centres also carry out job matching i.e., match the skills, experiences and qualifications of Job seekers with the Job qualification needed by employers.
Specific functions of the Employment Centers:
• Registration of Job seekers
• Vocational Guidance and Counseling
• Receive and Display Job Vacancies
• Job placements/referrals
• Generate and disseminate Labour Market Information
• Facilitate employment promotion programmes
• Facilitate the implementation of the National Employment Policy
• Provide advice to Employers and Employees alike on labour relations
• Supervises local recruitment agencies
• Attestation of Contract of Employment, Human resource policies etc.